Thursday 16 June 2011

My Secret Kitchen: Thai Kaffir Lime & Coconut Stir-fry






A while ago, I went to a “My Secret Kitchen” party hosted by the lovely Ren at Fabulicious Food and run by consultant Heidi. In case you haven't heard of the company, they are the nations first food tasting company and mainly operate by holding tastings, run by consultants, in people's homes. They were also named as a finalist in the company of the year category at the 2010 Mum and working awards.  

After an evening of sampling some quality My Secret Kitchen wares, I came away with quite a few delicious products to experiment with.  Having been enticed by the selection, I bought a bottle of Thai dressing with kaffir lime and also the balsamic vinegar reduction.  The balsamic reduction goes with everything! Hubby and I devoured it as it was so flavoursome.

Additionally, I bought the ultimate chocolate brownie – so easy to use, deliciously moist and melts in the mouth (people will be begging you for the recipe - don't tell them it came from a packet).  I also ended up with a few of the cheese ball and beer bread mixes which I have yet to use, as well as the maple caramel sauce which just looks way to good to keep unopened for long.

So, after deliberating for a while about what to do with my Thai dressing, I decided to experiment with it by cooking a Quorn chicken and vegetable stir-fry.  To make the sauce a bit more robust, I added some coconut milk and a couple of dashes of lime juice but you could just stir-fry the Thai sauce on its own.

I served my Thai lime and coconut stir-fry with noodles, but you could also try serving it with bread, rice or potatoes.  You could also vary the vegetables you use, or leave out the quorn chicken.

The Thai lime and coconut stir-fry was full of really interesting flavours – it was very tangy, well put together and definite hints of lime and ginger were tasted.  My husband was amazed that I could cook something with so much flavour from scratch (until I showed him the bottle!!).  Even then he said that he hadn't tasted this kind of sauce before.

I would thoroughly recommend holding a My Secret Kitchen tasting and buying the Thai dressing with kaffir lime which is on offer at tastings held during July.  Click here for more info.

Ingredients

1 bottle Thai dressing with kaffir lime
300g Quorn chicken style pieces
1 onion (peeled and chopped)
100g mushrooms (roughly chopped)
120g baby corn
75g fine beans
75g mange tout
Olive oil

Optional:

Coconut milk (100-400ml as desired)
Lime juice – as desired to taste

Method

1)    If using the coconut milk and lime juice, pour the Thai dressing into a bowl and combine with the desired amount of coconut milk and lime juice.
2)    Heat the olive oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the quorn chicken and fry for 3-5 minutes until it starts to brown. 
3)    Add the onion and mushrooms and fry for a further 3 minutes
4)    Pour the Thai dressing/coconut mixture into the wok and continue to cook for a further couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
5)    Add the baby corn, beans and mange tout and cook uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring to distribute evenly.
6)    Cover and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes
7)    Serve immediately

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...