Wednesday 11 January 2012

Vegetarian Chicken Supper in a Flash (Based on a Quorn Kitchen Recipe )


Do you ever have one of those days where dinner just doesn't go to plan? I do and I must say that recently it has been happening to me quite a bit more often than I would like. It all starts out so well.. you decide what you are going to eat... you start preparing and cooking your dish..... and then you find that actually the main ingredient that you thought was in the fridge/freezer/cupboard is no where to be found!

Well that's what happened to me when I start to cook what was supposed to be Vegetarian Bolognese with Jacket Potato. I started cooking the veg, only to discover that what I thought had been Vegetarian Mince, was in fact Vegetarian Chicken pieces. So I had to improvise a little....

I turned to my Quorn Kitchen cookbook and came up with a version of their "Steak Supper in a Flash" which included Vegetarian Chicken pieces and could incorporate the ingredients I was already part of the way through cooking. The original recipe includes 175g of cooked, halved New Potatoes, but as I already had Jacket Potatoes in the oven, I decided to omit them and use the rest of the ingredients as an accompaniment to my Jackets. If you were cooking the dish with the correct ingredients, you could use Quorn Steak Strips rather than Chicken and New Potatoes rather than Jackets. I used Onion and Carrot in the recipe, but the original calls for red Onion, so you could cook it with either. Anyway, here is my modified, saving dinner version:


Vegetarian Chicken Supper in a Flash



Ingredients
175g Vegetarian Chicken Pieces
2 Onions, peeled and chopped
1 Carrot, peeled and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
100g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
300ml Hot Vegetable Stock
1tbsp Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper for Seasoning
Olive Oil for frying

Method
  1. Chop the onion and carrot into small pieces and fry them with the garlic over a medium heat in some oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
  2. Add the vegetarian chicken pieces with the chilli powder and cayenne pepper and fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken pieces begin to brown.
  3. Add the tomatoes (and new potatoes if using) and fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Stir the mixture well and then add the vegetable stock and vegetarian worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper if required. 
  5. Cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes, until all of the ingredients and flavours are combined well together and then serve immediately with jacket potato or crunchy bread.

5 comments :

  1. That looks so comforting! Especially with the baked potatoes on the side

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophie, It definitely was comfort food for a chilly day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am attempting it tonight but in my slow cooker, if it's successful would you mind if I pop it on my blog? With a link back to your recipe of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie, fine with me, by all means pop it on the blog and add a link back. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare, this looks like a warm and soothing dish! Have you seen my proper mock chicken recipe? I overhead texture of it. Xx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...